American expat's experience in Brno, Czech Republic. A journey with an unknown end, but plenty to observe along the way!

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Mortgage Crisis at Home

I try to stay abreast of news back home, and lately all I seem to read about (besides the presidential primaries) is the home mortgage mess in the USA. Far from being just another headline to me, I have two people very dear to my heart in the middle of the mortgage crisis now. One of my friends lost his job and is becoming behind in his house payments, the other is a home lender with depleting business. Anyway, to all those folks back home involved in this mess, my thoughts are with you. I know losing your home is probably the worst thing that can happen besides losing a loved one, and I feel ya. Whether you choose to refinance or sell or actually declare bankruptcy, just remember that times will be better - one thing I've learned about stressful times in my life...the clouds always clear up eventually. :-)

Anyway, in Brno it's the opposite trend. Home prices on the rise like there's no tomorrow. So, probably after new year's we'll move into a rental and continue to watch home prices & really get to know this market before buying.

I know this subject isn't very exciting, lol. Being in the accounting industry, though - I think about it a lot, especially when I'm planning to buy in the coming months.

Last night, my friends and I met in a Brno pub called Pegas, which I highly recommend to anyone visiting Czech Republic & touring pubs. Not only is the pivo (beer) excellent, the atmosphere is friendly & buzzing, and the staff work their tail off to make sure that no glass is ever empty. Here is the pub, one of my favorites in Brno:

No comments:

Czech Republic Headlines