American expat's experience in Brno, Czech Republic. A journey with an unknown end, but plenty to observe along the way!

Monday, January 14, 2008

Shock from Re-entry

There's something about a visit home that really puts things in perspective! I went to the states for Christmas, and spent a few weeks with friends and family. I lived in comfort, ate like a king, and basically devoured all the western comforts around me. I drove (with pleasure), I shopped (american clothes are better AND cheaper!), and channel surfed american tv in every idle minute. In short, I consumed in great quantity everything I'm deprived of here.

My first couple days back, I noticed the dreariness of this place. Don't get me wrong; I love Brno & czech life in general. But the antiquity of my surroundings seems so dark once it's initial novelty wears off....and I can't help wondering if my fascination of this place is coming to an end. Or is this merely a stage of being an expat that I'm experiencing? Who knows.

Anyway, one thing that shines here is the women. On my first tram ride after coming back, I was slightly depressed, looking at the old infrastructure around me....when I gazed out the window at the pedestrians. Let me just say...compared to the female citizens of 99% of the USA (I'm not talking Hollywood / Vegas / Miami, I'm talking Anytown, USA), the women here blow them away. The vast majority are in good shape, well educated, and friendly. Unbelievable in comparison. Just watching the crowds it's amazing how many stunningly beautiful women you see everyday here. A ray of sunshine really hit me at that moment...and instantly I felt lucky to be here. :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I came across your blog via my Google Alert for anything Brno.

I am an American married to a Czech women from Brno. I am originally from the Philly area. We recently moved to Phoenix area. I am 35 and she is 27. We visit her family in Brno usually once a year. My wife is coming for the whole summer this year and I am coming over in August. Their family home is downtown, and we love hopping on tram and hitting the pubs, cafes, and shops.

I love it over there. In fact, if I could find an english based job I would consider moving us. Although, Phoenix weather is pretty fantastic and might be hard to give up.

How long have you been in Brno? Do you go to school in Brno or work there? If so, do you speak fluent Czech or have an english based job?

Have you been to Charlie's? or Huza? or Starobrno brewery?

Enjoy,
Ian

Stewart Appleton said...

Ahoj!

I frequent Charlies, and have been to Starobrno & Huza. I'd love to join you guys for a pivo when you're here - stay in touch! :-)

I work here & speak VERY little czech - but trying to learn. Make sure to let me know when you're coming, always good to hang out with my fellow americans!

Unknown said...

We'll stay in touch with you.

Unknown said...

I just booked my ticket. I will be in Brno from July 25 to Aug 12. I'll be sure to reach out to you by email.

Czech Republic Headlines